Applying for Orders Releasing the Bond to You

< Back to list

Where there is a bond dispute and the Office of Rental Bonds has advised that they cannot release the bond or the disputed part of the bond, either the landlord or the tenant must apply to the Tribunal for an order to release the bond.

Because the bond is your money, the onus is on the landlord to prove her/his claim to it. This is the case regardless of whether it is you or the landlord making the application to the Tribunal.

However, you should still provide whatever evidence you have to support your claim.

For example:

  • Receipt for bond paid;
  • Acknowledgement of bond lodgement;
  • Condition report and/or photographs showing any existing damage at the start of the tenancy;
  • Receipts to show that rent was paid up to the date of vacation;
  • Photographs and/or witness statements as to the condition of the property at the date of vacation;
  • Receipts of any services you employed, like carpet cleaners.

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from