Making a Complaint about your Real Estate Agent

< Back to list

Your real estate agent is behaving badly and you want to complain about that behaviour. Making a complaint is different from taking a dispute to the ACT
Civil and Administrative Tribunal. You can do both and perhaps help other tenants.

Real Estate Agents in the ACT are regulated by the Agents Act 2003 and the Agents Regulation 2003. The Regulation includes Rules of Conduct that bind all real estate agents.

The Office of Regulatory Services runs the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) which has the enforcement and compliance role in relation to this Act.
If you are in public housing there is a separate complaints process you can use (see Welfare Rights & Legal Centre for assistance). If your landlord manages your tenancy themselves without an agent, the Office of Fair Trading can only investigate very limited types of complaints, eg rent bidding.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from