Making a Complaint about your Real Estate Agent - How is a complaint different from a dispute?

< Back to list

As noted in other Tenancy Factsheets, your tenancy is regulated by the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. This sets out the rules by which your tenancy operates. Problems in tenancies are usually disputes arising out of breaches of these rules.

If you want an order redressing a breach (such as getting repairs done, getting compensation, or limiting access) then the Tribunal is where you should be going. You can refer to other Tenancy Factsheets for details in relation to specific issues.

If your issue relates to complaints about the professional behaviour of your agent, or the policies or procedures the agency is employing in managing your tenancy (and possibly other tenancies) then the OFT may be able to address the problem.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from