Making a Complaint about your Real Estate Agent - Making a complaint

< Back to list

The OFT has wide ranging powers and can take action against offending agents in a multitude of ways:
anything from contacting the agent for the purposes of re-education, issuing a warning, or referral to the Tribunal for formal disciplinary action. The action that the OFT takes will depend on the nature and severity of the breach, the particular history of the agent/agency involved, and the potential for consumer detriment arising out of the conduct in question. The OFT is more likely to act when they have received multiple complaints about the same agency or property manager, so your complaint could make a difference.

The Office of Fair Trading
The OFT has a complaints process that is open to all consumers, including tenants. The Advice and Complaints Unit can be contacted on 6207 0400
from 8:30am to 4:30pm Mon - Fri.

If the unit considers that a complaint made through their advice line requires investigating they may request a formal written complaint. This will allow the unit to commence its enquiries. If you have difficulty getting through to the advice line, don’t panic. All formal written complaints are considered for further investigation. You can send a written complaint to:

ACT Office of Fair Trading, GPO Box 158, CANBERRA ACT 2601
For more information and other contact details, go to:


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from