Privacy - Problems?

< Back to list

If your right to privacy and enjoyment is being abused by the landlord or agent, you have several options:

  • Write to them asking them to stop the offending behaviour, referring to their obligations under your tenancy agreement. Be sure to keep a copy of the letter (signed and dated) as evidence in case stronger action is required at a later stage. See our Sample Letter on access for suggestions.
  • In serious cases, you may pursue legal action to protect your enjoyment and privacy. Interfering with a tenant's privacy or enjoyment of the property is in breach of the agreement. The tribunal has the power to restrain any action in breach of the standard terms and to order compensation for any loss caused by a breach.
  • In serious cases, the tenancy can be terminated; for example, a consistent failure to provide reasonable notice of entry. The process is set out in the Standard Lease (see Factsheet: Ending a Tenancy and Breaking a Lease). You should seek further advice before taking this step. If the problem is being caused by a real estate agent, you can make a complaint to the:

Office of Fair Trading.

See also 'Can I change the locks'


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from