Rent Increases and Reductions - If you don't receive proper notice

< Back to list

If the landlord doesn’t give you proper notice, then you may not be obliged to pay the increased rent (cl 34 states that the amoun of rent will not vary except as provided by the RTA and the tenancy agreement).

You should write to the landlord before the date of the increase stating that you do not intend to pay the increase and giving the reason. Be sure to keep a copy of the letter as evidence in case there are legal proceedings at a later stage. The landlord may try to assert you are in arrears if you don’t pay the increase. If you have already paid the higher rent you can make an application to ACAT for the difference to be repaid.

Note that ACAT could decide to correct a defect and change the date that the increase takes effect.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from