Tenancy in the ACT - What are my responsibilities as a tenant?
You have certain responsibilities as a tenant which are placed on you by legislation and by the tenancy agreement which you sign. Your responsibilities include:
- To pay the rent as agreed;
- To take care of the premises and not cause a nuisance or annoyance to your neighbours;
- Not to use the premises for an illegal purpose and to observe the valid terms of the tenancy agreement;
- To allow the landlord or agent reasonable access to the premises in accordance with the standard terms and the RTA;
- To repair any damage negligently or intentionally caused by you, your guests, pets or persons under your control (eg children, sub-tenants) or compensate the owner for the loss incurred; and
- To notify the landlord of the need for repairs or maintenance.
Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT
Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from