What should I do if I am in rent arrears?

< Back to list

If you cannot make a rental payment, contact the landlord/agent as soon as possible and inform them when you will be making the payment.

If you aren’t able to pay off the arrears in one payment, contact the landlord/agent to explain the situation. You may be able to reach an agreement to pay off the amount over time, for example you could offer to pay an extra amount per week. BUT remember not to offer more than you can afford, as this will inevitably lead to problems.

Make such an offer in writing, sign, date and keep a copy. This will be useful even if the offer is not accepted, as the letter can be used as evidence that you have tried to fix the problem if action is taken in the ACAT. If the landlord agrees with the offer, get this agreement in writing.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of ACT

Further information and advice for ACT tenants can be sourced from