Deposit of the Bond
The landlord/agent must deposit the bond with NSW Fair Trading (NSWFT). For lump-sum payments:
- a landlord must deposit the bond within 10 working days after it is paid
- an agent must deposit the bond within 10 working days after the end of the calendar month in which it is paid.
For bond paid in instalments, the periods for depositing the bond vary according to how soon the total is paid after the first instalment. (Contact NSWFT for more information.) Once the landlord/agent has deposited the bond, NSWFT will send you an advice slip and a rental bond number.
Keep these in a safe place with your tenancy agreement. If you do not receive an advice slip, contact NSWFT to find out if the bond has been deposited. If the landlord/agent does not deposit the bond within the required period, they can be fined up to $2,200.
- Forms are available from NSW Fair Trading: phone 133 220, www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
- Housing NSW: phone 1300 468 746
- Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal: phone 1300 135 399, www.cttt.nsw.gov.au
Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW
Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from www.tenants.org.au