Ending the Tenancy for a Legally Specified Reason

< Back to list

You can end your tenancy:

  • on the ground that the landlord has breached the tenancy agreement
  • because you would suffer undue hardship if the tenancy continued
  • because the premises have become unusable
  • on a prescribed ‘extraordinary’ ground (such as because of domestic violence)
  • on the ground that the landlord has increased the rent when you have a ‘long-term’ fixed-term tenancy agreement of more than 2 years.

If you want to end your tenancy this way, you will have to:

  • give the landlord/agent a written termination notice with the appropriate notice period (see below), and/or
  • apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy

Tribunal (CTTT) for a termination order.
A termination order ends the tenancy and specifies the day by which you must give the landlord vacant possession.

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW

Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from www.tenants.org.au

Next Page>