If the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal makes a Termination Order

< Back to list

The Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal will consider the relative hardship to you and the landlord and specify the day on which you must give vacant possession. If you are not out by the day specified, the landlord can get a warrant for possession from the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal and go to the Sheriff.

A sheriff’s officer can remove you from the premises, with police help if needed. If you pay the arrears or enter into an agreed repayment plan before the sheriff’s officer arrives, you can still save your tenancy. (You must notify the landlord that you have paid the arrears.)

The landlord must then notify the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal and the Sheriff. However, as stated above, the landlord may apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for a termination order on the basis that you have ‘frequently failed’ to pay the rent on time.

The Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal may terminate your tenancy. Note: New tenancy law is effective At the time of writing, it is not known how details of the new tenancy law will work in practice – particularly Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal procedure. Contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for advice. January 2011

Next Page>


FURTHER HELP: Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services

  • Inner 9698 5975
  • Inner West 9559 2899
  • South 9787 4679
  • South West 4628 1678
  • East 9386 9147
  • West 8833 0911
  • North 9884 9605
  • North West 9413 2677


  • Blue Mountains 1300 363 967
  • Central Coast 4353 5515
  • Hunter 4969 7666
  • Illawarra Sth Coast 4274 3475
  • Mid North Coast 6583 9866
  • Northern Rivers 6621 1022
  • Northwest NSW 1800 836 268
  • Southwest NSW 1800 642 609


  • Sydney 9569 0222
  • West NSW 1800 810 233
  • South NSW 1800 672 185
  • North NSW 1800 248 913

Older persons 1800 131 310 Website www.tenants.org.au
NSW Fair Trading 133 220
This factsheet is intended as a guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. It applies to people who live in, or are affected by, the law as it applies in New South Wales, Australia.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW

Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from www.tenants.org.au

© Tenants’ Union of NSW