Interference with Your Privacy

< Back to list

Examples of this include:

  • the landlord/agent coming to the premises for no reason and without notice
  • a tradesperson coming to do non-urgent repairs without proper notice
  • prospective buyers with a key to the premises coming around without notice or written consent from the landlord.

If your privacy is interfered with
Complain to the landlord/agent in writing and demand that they stop breaching the tenancy agreement. Keep a copy of the letter.

You can also:

Apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for orders

  • to stop the landlord/agent entering the premises (apply within 3 months of becoming aware of the landlord’s/agent’s breach)
  • to specify or limit the days and times on which, and purposes for which, the landlord/agent or other authorised person can enter (apply at any time during the tenancy)
  • for the landlord to carry out a term of your residential tenancy agreement(apply at any time during the tenancy)
  • to allow you to change the locks or refusethe landlord a key to the premises (see Factsheet 07: Locks and security)
  • to end your tenancy (see Factsheet 09: You want to leave)
  • for compensation for loss of or damage to your goods (apply within 3 months of becoming aware of the loss or damage)
  • report trespass to the police
  • report unlawful entry to NSW Fair Trading. (A landlord/agent can be fined up to $2,200.)

If your complaint is about a real estate agent, tell your landlord about the agent’s behaviour. You can also complain to NSW Fair Trading

Next Page>


FURTHER HELP: Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services

  • Inner 9698 5975
  • Inner West 9559 2899
  • South 9787 4679
  • South West 4628 1678
  • East 9386 9147
  • West 8833 0911
  • North 9884 9605
  • North West 9413 2677


  • Blue Mountains 1300 363 967
  • Central Coast 4353 5515
  • Hunter 4969 7666
  • Illawarra Sth Coast 4274 3475
  • Mid North Coast 6583 9866
  • Northern Rivers 6621 1022
  • Northwest NSW 1800 836 268
  • Southwest NSW 1800 642 609


  • Sydney 9569 0222
  • West NSW 1800 810 233
  • South NSW 1800 672 185
  • North NSW 1800 248 913

Older persons 1800 131 310 Website
NSW Fair Trading 133 220
This factsheet is intended as a guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. It applies to people who live in, or are affected by, the law as it applies in New South Wales, Australia.

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW

Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from

© Tenants’ Union of NSW.