Repairs - Getting Urgent Repairs Done

< Back to list

Notify the landlord/agent – in writing if possible – about what needs fixing. Follow up any conversations with a letter. Keep a copy of the letter and a record of any conversations as evidence that you have notified the landlord/agent.

If the landlord/agent cannot be contacted or is unwilling to do the urgent repairs, you can arrange for them to be done. However, you must be able to show that:

  • the problem was not your fault
  • you have made a ‘reasonable’ attempt to contact the landlord/agent
  • you have given the landlord/agent a ‘reasonable’ opportunity to do the repairs
  • the repairs are carried out by a repair person named in your tenancy agreement (if possible) or by a licensed or qualified tradesperson.

You must give the landlord/agent written notice detailing the repairs, costs and copies of receipts. The landlord must pay you for any reasonable costs you incurred up to $1000 within 14 days of your notice. If the landlord does not pay, you can apply to the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal within 3 months for an order that they do so.

If you cannot afford to pay for urgent repairs, apply to the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for an urgent hearing for the repairs to be done. You may apply to the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal for a rent reduction until the repairs are done (see below).

Next Page>


FURTHER HELP: Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services Sydney

  • Inner 9698 5975
  • Inner West 9559 2899
  • South 9787 4679
  • South West 4628 1678
  • East 9386 9147
  • West 8833 0911
  • North 9884 9605
  • North West 9413 2677


  • Blue Mountains 1300 363 967
  • Central Coast 4353 5515
  • Hunter 4969 7666
  • Illawarra Sth Coast 4274 3475
  • Mid North Coast 6583 9866
  • Northern Rivers 6621 1022
  • Northwest NSW 1800 836 268
  • Southwest NSW 1800 642 609


  • Sydney 9569 0222
  • West NSW 1800 810 233
  • South NSW 1800 672 185
  • North NSW 1800 248 913

Older persons 1800 131 310 Website NSW Fair Trading 133 220
This factsheet is intended as a guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. It applies to people who live in, or are affected by, the law as it applies in New South Wales, Australia.

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW

Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from

© Tenants’ Union of NSW