Termination for Breach of Agreement (Tenant)

< Back to list

Fixed-term and periodic agreements If you have breached the agreement, the landlord can give you a 14-day termination notice. If you do not obey the notice, the landlord can apply for a termination order.

If they do, you should attend the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal  hearing. If you can show that you have fixed the breach or taken steps to fix it, the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal  may decide not to end the tenancy.

Termination for non-payment of rent If you are in breach of agreement solely for rent arrears, the landlord can give you a non-payment termination notice. The rent must remain unpaid for not less than 14 days before this notice can be given.

If you get such a notice, you are not required to vacate if you pay all the rent owing or enter into, and fully comply with, an agreed repayment plan. See Factsheet: Rent arrears for more information.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of NSW

Further information and advice for NSW tenants can be sourced from www.tenants.org.au