Current Legislation

Current legislation covering tenants rights are not consistent throughout Australia. We therefore ask you   to refer to the information supplied for your state or territory as legislation in other states may differ. Should you not find the information you seek, please refer our 7 day per week legal advice line - cllick here for details.

Who’s who? A lessor is the person who gives a tenant the ‘right to occupy’ a residential premises under the Act. Lessors often employ real estate agents to work on their behalf. A provider is a person who provides rooming accommodation to residents.

When you rent a place to live in Queensland, your tenancy agreement is covered by the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (‘the Act’).

If your lessor, agent or provider wants you to move out, they must follow the steps described in the Act

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from