Bond - Abandonment and Bond Refunds

< Back to list

If the lessor or provider believes that you have abandoned the premises, they can take steps to formally end the tenancy. If the tenancy is terminated due to abandonment, the lessor or provider may also apply to the RTA for a bond refund. The RTA will send you a Notice of Claim giving you 14 days to dispute the claim. If you fail to dispute the claim within this period, the RTA will automatically refund the bond to the other party.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offices, online at or Ph: 1300 366 311


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from