Bond - If your bond is not lodged

< Back to list

If the person you pay bond money to does not lodge your bond with the RTA, they are committing an offence and could be fined.

You can advise the person you paid bond to that it is a serious offence and they may face a fine for failing to lodge your bond with the RTA.

You can ask them to either return your bond money to you immediately, or lodge your bond money with the RTA. If your bond is not lodged with the RTA you can contact the RTA Investigations Unit to make a complaint about this offence.

You will need a bond receipt or other evidence that you have paid the bond. You can also use a Dispute Resolution Request form to apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service for conciliation to resolve the dispute. If you need help you can contact a tenant advice service.

Never sign a blank Refund of Rental Bond form. This is like signing a blank cheque.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offices, online at or Ph: 1300 366 311


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from