Bond Checklist

< Back to list

How to avoid problems

  • Get a receipt when you pay the bond.
  • The person you pay bond money to must lodge your bond with the RTA.
  • Use an Entry Condition Report to record the condition of the premises at the beginning of your tenancy. Take photographs of the property as extra evidence.
  • Read all documents carefully and never sign a blank or incomplete form.
  • Keep copies of all rent receipts or a record of your rent payments.
  • When you move out give the correct written notice before you leave.
  • Leave the premises clean, similar to their condition when you moved in.Keep copies of receipts for carpet cleaning.

  • Take photos of the premises before you leave.
  • When you move out use an Exit Condition Report to record the condition of the premises. Give a copy to the agent or lessor.
  • Return the keys when you move out.
  • Notify the RTA of your forwarding address.

Use a Refund of Rental Bond form to apply to the RTA for a bond refund.

Never sign a blank Refund of Rental Bond form. This is like signing a blank cheque.

You should receive an official receipt from the RTA within two weeks of paying your bond.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from