Bond Claims

< Back to list

Your lessor, agent or provider may want to claim some money from your bond. This may happen if you breach the agreement, leave the tenancy owing rent, damage the premises, or do not leave the place clean and in a similar condition to the beginning of the tenancy (fair wear and tear excepted).

You may agree with the claims against your bond. When you sign the Refund of Rental Bond form you may agree that part, or all,of the bond will be paid to the lessor, agent or provider.

You can fill in these amounts on the form. If you and the lessor, agent or provider, agree this is the only amount you owe, you should write on the form ‘full and final settlement’, so that there can be no further claims against you.

If all parties agree and sign the Refund of Rental Bond form and send it into the RTA, the RTA will immediately release the bond according to the amounts written on the form. If you cannot reach an agreement you can lodge your own Refund of Rental Bond form directly with the RTA after your tenancy ends.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offi ces, online at or Ph: 1300 366 311


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from