Checklist End the Tenancy
To end the tenancy, the lessor, agent or provider must:
- Give you a written Notice to Leave or apply to the Tribunal for a termination order.
- A Notice to Leave it must give you the correct amount of notice.
- After you give them your completed Exit Condition Report the the lessor or agent must inspect the premises and complete and return a copy to you within 3 days (not required in rooming accommodation).
- If possible arrange to attend the final inspection with the lessor or agent. Agents should carry out the fi nal inspection with the tenants.
When moving out you need to:
- Pay the rent up to and including the handover day on the notice.
- Leave the premises clean and in the same condition as when you moved in (except for fair wear and tear).
- Repair any damage that you have caused (you are not responsible for routine repairs and maintenance).
- Remove your belongings from the premises, on or before the last day on the notice.
- Obtain and fi ll in an Exit Condition Report and give the lessor or agent a copy. Keep a copy for your records. This does not apply in rooming accommodation but is good to do if you paid a bond.
- Keep evidence of the condition of the premises when you leave, such as a copy of your Exit Condition Report, photos and receipts for repairs or cleaning you have done.
- If possible arrange to carry out a joint fi nal inspection of the premises, with the lessor, agent or provider
- Return the keys on the day you move out, or as soon as possible after you move out.
- Use a Refund of Rental Bond form to apply to the RTA for your bond refund..
Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc
Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from www.tuq.org.au