If you dispute a notice

< Back to list

If you disagree with a Notice to Remedy Breach or a Notice to Leave for rent arrears, you should let your lessor, agent or provider know straight away. Send them a letter to explain why you disagree with the notice. Keep a copy of this letter as evidence.

If you cannot solve the problem, you can apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service for assistance to resolve the dispute. The RTA can help you to negotiate with the lessor, agent or provider.

If the RTA is unable to help you solve the dispute, they will issue you with a Notice of Unresolved Dispute. You can then apply to the Tribunal for a decision about the disputed notice.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offi ces, online at www.rta.qld.gov.au or Ph: 1300 366 311


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from www.tuq.org.au