If you dispute the Notice to Remedy Breach

< Back to list

If you are given a Notice to Remedy Breach and you don’t agree with the notice, you can apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service for help to resolve the dispute.

You can also write or talk to the lessor, agent or provider, to let them know you dispute the notice and do not agree that you are in breach of your agreement.

If the RTA is unable to help you and the lessor, agent or provider, reach an agreement to resolve the dispute, they will issue a Notice of Unresolved Dispute. You can then apply to the Tribunal for a decision about the matter.

In most cases, you can only be given a Notice to Leave during a fixed term agreement if you fail to remedy a serious breach the agreement.

Unpaid rent

  • General tenancies if your rent is 7 days late: 7 days
  • Long tenancy moveable dwellings if your rent is 7 days late: 5 days
  • Short tenancy moveable dwellings, as soon as your rent is late: no notice period required
  • Rooming accommodation
  • if you have lived there 28 days or more and your rent is 2 days late: 4 days
  • if you have lived there for 27 days or less, as soon as your rent is late: 2 days

Other breach of the agreement

  • General tenancies: 7 days
  • Moveable dwellings long tenancy agreement: 7 days
  • Moveable dwellings short tenancy agreement: No notice required
  • Rooming accommodation: 5 days

Next Page>

Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from www.tuq.org.au