If you fail to leave

< Back to list

In residential tenancies if you receive a Notice to Leave and do not leave by the handover date, the lessor or agent can apply directly to the Tribunal for an urgent hearing and seek a termination order.

At the hearing the Tribunal can terminate the tenancy and issue a Warrant of Possession, which authorises police to remove you from the premises. If you receive a notice of a Tribunal hearing it is important to attend the hearing.

You can present your evidence and ask the Tribunal to allow you to continue in the tenancy. You can seek advice from a tenant advice service before the hearing. In rooming accommodation, if you receive a Notice to Leave and fail to move out on the due date, the provider does not have to apply to the Tribunal, but can immediately call the police for assistance to remove you from the premises.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from www.tuq.org.au