If you leave owing rent

< Back to list

If you owe rent when you move out, the lessor, agent or provider can claim this money from your rental bond. They can also apply to the Tribunal and seek additional compensation if the bond is not sufficient to cover the rent and any other money you owe.

If the Tribunal terminates your tenancy for rent arrears, or if you leave owing rent in excess of the bond, you can be listed on a tenancy database. This can make it difficult to rent in the furture.

If you have a fixed term agreement and your agreement is terminated due to rent arrears, you can also be held responsible for breaking the lease early and be required to pay reasonable costs incurred by your lessor or provider.


Information supplied courtesy of the Tenants Union of Queensland Inc

Further information and advice for Queensland tenants can be sourced from www.tuq.org.au