Access and Privacy - Can I make a Complaint about my Landlord's / Agent's Actions?

< Back to list

If your landlord/agent unlawfully enters your property or does not give you quiet enjoyment of the property you should notify them that they are in breach of the Act, preferably in writing, and you should keep a copy.

If they continue to breach your quiet enjoyment and/or continue to unlawfully enter the property, you can report the matter to Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading. If found to be in breach they may be fined up to $6000.

If you believe that your agent has acted in an unprofessional or incompetent way, you may also make a written complaint to:

Property Agents Board
Royal Engineers Building
2 Davey Street
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone 6234 2700

You could also send a copy of your complaint to the Real Estate Institute of Tasmania (REIT), if the agent is a member. The REIT represents member real estate agents throughout Tasmania. They will only deal with complaints about their members.

Real Estate Institute of Tasmania
33 Melville Street
Hobart TAS 7000
Phone 6223 4769