The Tenants Union of Victoria has produced this guide for residential tenants, which is anyone who rents from a private landlord (or real estate agent) or the Office of Housing.

It explains the tenants rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and gives advice on how to protect these rights.

It does not cover every aspect of the law and you should contact the Tenants Union if you have a question that isn’t covered here.

Tenants Union Advice Service The Tenants Union of Victoria provides free, confidential advice and a legal service for public and private residential tenants in Victoria. Tenants Union services include:

  • telephone/in-person/email advice
  • representing tenants at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
  • referrals to other services

This guide is available from Consumer Affairs Victoria at or by calling 1300 55 81 81.

Because this publication avoids the use of legal language, information about the law may have been expressed in general statements.

This guide should not be relied upon as a substitute for the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 or professional legal advice.

© Copyright State of Victoria 2010