Can You Change the Locks?

Either the tenant or landlord can change the locks with the agreement of the other party.

This agreement must not be unreasonably withheld. The party who changes the locks will normally pay for it, unless otherwise agreed (cl54(3)).

In an emergency either party may change the locks, at their own cost, without the agreement of the other party (cl54(4)).

Where a lock is changed, a copy of the new key must be provided to the other party as soon as possible (cl54(5)).

If there is a problem and you feel that you need to change the locks, another option is to apply to the ACAT for an order.

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal 6207 1740

dispute resolution and enforcement of tenancy legislation

See Also ‘Privacy‘ and ‘Reasonable Access’