Claiming the Bond Back

At the end of the tenancy, fill in a ‘Claim for Refund of Bond Money’ form. If you agree with the landlord/agent about return of the bond, sign the completed claim form and have the landlord/agent sign it.

Return the form to NSWFT by post, fax or in person. NSWFT can deposit the money into your bank account or post you a cheque (give a forwarding address). If you disagree about return of the bond, you can still make a claim for it by filling in the claim form with the amount that you want paid to you. You do not need the landlord’s/agent’s signature.

Return the form to NSWFT. NSWFT will give the landlord/agent written notice that you have made a claim. If the landlord/agent does not dispute it, NSWFT will pay your claim after 14 days. If the landlord/agent disputes your claim, they must apply to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal (CTTT) within 14 days of receiving the notice and tell NSWFT in writing that they have done this. The CTTT will decide how the bond will be paid out.