Costs at the Start

A landlord/agent can only ask you to pay the following:

  • a holding fee
  • rent in advance
  • a bond.

They cannot charge a fee for the preparation of a written tenancy agreement. Be sure to get a detailed receipt for any amounts you pay to the landlord/agent.

Financial assistance
The Rentstart scheme provides financial assistance to disadvantaged tenants in the private rental market, including money for bond and rent in advance. Apply through Housing NSW (phone 1300 468 746).