If You are in Arrears

If you can, pay the arrears immediately. Otherwise, contact the landlord/agent and try to come to an agreement about paying off the arrears over time. If you come to an agreement, send them a letter confirming this.

Make notes of any conversations you have and keep copies of all letters. This may be helpful if you have to go to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal at a later date. If needed, seek help from a financial counselling service such as Credit and Debt Hotline (free call 1800 808 488). You can ask them to write a letter confirming your financial situation and your ability to pay rent and arrears.