You want to leave - Usual steps to end your Tenancy
- Give the landlord/agent a written termination notice with the appropriate notice period.
- Remove all of your belongings. Clean the premises and leave them as they were at the start of the tenancy, fair wear and tear excepted. Consider taking photos as evidence of the condition of the premises.
- Invite the landlord/agent to inspect the premises and complete the final condition report. (They do not have to do this before you hand back the keys.)
- Attend the inspection by the landlord/agent, if possible, and get a copy of the condition report. You can complete a final condition report without the landlord/agent’s signature.
- Lock up the premises. Hand back the keys to the landlord/agent and get a receipt for them. Here the tenancy ends – you have given vacant possession and you may not re-enter the premises.
- Claim the bond.
You can claim the bond without the landlord’s/agent’s signature. Send a completed bond claim form to NSW Fair Trading as soon as possible. (See: Bond.)
If you receive a notice of hearing from the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal (CTTT), you should attend the hearing and participate.