Dispute Resolution Services

The RTA provides a free Dispute Resolution Service to assist parties to resolve tenancy disputes. If you are unable to resolve a dispute by negotiating directly with the lessor, agent or provider, you can apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service for conciliation to resolve the dispute.

To apply, fill in an RTA Dispute Resolution Request form and post or fax this form to the RTA. A conciliator from the RTA will then contact you to explain the dispute resolution process. It may take a few weeks for an RTA conciliator to contact you.

If you need the problem to be dealt with quickly, note this on the form or in an attached letter. It can also be useful to attach copies of letters, forms or other relevant documents.