Disputes About Goods Left Behind - Applying To The Tribunal

If you are not satisfi ed with the way your former lessor or provider has dealt with goods you left behind, you can apply to the Tribunal for a hearing and seek an order for the return of your goods. If goods are not returned to you, or have been damaged, you can request compensation.

In residential tenancies, you can apply directly to the Tribunal for an urgent hearing about your goods. In rooming accommodation, you must first apply to the RTA Dispute Resolution Service and can then apply to the Tribunal if the RTA cannot help you resolve the dispute. You should take action within 6 months of knowing about the breach.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offi ces, online at www.rta.qld.gov.au or Ph: 1300 366 311