Excessive Rent Increases

If you have a periodic or fixed term residential tenancy agreement and receive notice of a rent increase that you believe is excessive, you can apply to the Tribunal to dispute the increase.

You must apply to theTribunal within 30 days of receiving the rent increase notice, or before the fixed term agreement ends, if this is earlier. Before you apply to the Tribunal you must first attempt to resolve the dispute using the RTA Dispute Resolution Service.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The RTA is the government authority that oversees renting laws in Queensland. The RTA provides information and services for tenants, lessors, agents, providers and residents. RTA forms are available from Australia Post Offices, online at www.rta.qld.gov.au or Ph: 1300 366 311