Repairs Affecting Health and Safety

In residential tenancies if the lessor or agent fails to do repairs and this endangers your health and safety, you can apply directly to the Tribunal for an urgent hearing about the repairs.

Before making the application, you should inform the lessor or agent of the damage or need for repair. This does not have to be on a Notice to Remedy Breach form, but it is advisable to use this notice and keep a copy for your records.

If repairs are not done you can apply to the Tribunal for an urgent hearing and seek an order that the lessor carry out the repairs. You will need to provide the Tribunal with evidence about the repair problem, including copies of letters or breach notices you have sent to the lessor, and any relevant photographs, reports or quotes from tradespeople.

The provisions about urgent repairs do not apply in rooming accommodation or short tenancy moveable dwelling agreements.