Tenancy Databases - Who Can Be Listed?
In Queensland, the use of tenancy databases is regulated by the Act. The Act sets out lawful reasons a tenant can be listed and rules that lessors and agents must follow if they want to list a tenant on a tenancy database.
When listing a tenant on a database, the lessor or agent must:
- Take reasonable steps to notify you about the proposed listing and the information they intend to record; and
- Give you a reasonable opportunity to review the proposed listing.
In Queensland, you can be listed on a tenancy database if:
- The tenancy has ended; and
- You were named as a tenant on the tenancy agreement (other occupants, visitors or children cannot be listed as they were not on the agreement); and
- There is a lawful reason for the listing under the Act; and
- The listing person has taken reasonable steps to notify you about the proposed listing.