The Act

In Queensland the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 sets out your rights and responsibilities when you rent a place.

The Act applies if you rent from a lessor, agent or provider, or rent social housing from the government, or a community organisation. Different rules may apply depending on the type of accommodation you rent.

Residential tenancy provisions apply to tenants who rent general premises (a house or unit), or rent moveable dwelling premises (a caravan or caravan site). Rooming accommodation provisions apply if you are a resident and rent a room in rooming accommodation where you share facilities.

In some cases the Act also has sections that apply to prospective tenants and residents.