The Hearing Date

Most Tribunal matters can be heard within a few weeks of the application being lodged. However, waiting times may vary depending on how busy the Tribunal is and how often they hold hearings. In parts of regional Queensland, the Tribunal may only hear matters once a month. Tribunals will usually prioritise applications that are defined as urgent applications under the Act. These are often heard within two weeks. If you have a non-urgent application but need the Tribunal to hear
your matter quickly, explain this when you lodge your application. If there are certain days or times you are unable to attend a hearing, for example if you are going away on holidays, put this in writing when you lodge your application.

Notice of hearing

When the Tribunal receives an application, they will send all parties a Notice of Hearing with the date, time and location of the hearing.

The Tribunal will also send the respondents a copy of the application. If you are the respondent, the Tribunal will send you the Notice of Hearing along with a copy of the application lodged by the lessor, agent or provider.

If you need to change the hearing date If you receive a Notice of Hearing but cannot attend the hearing at that time, you should immediately contact the Tribunal and request the matter be adjourned to another date.

You will need to confirm this request in writing and have a good reason why you cannot attend. The Tribunal will consider your request. If you cannot attend the hearing If you cannot attend the hearing in person, you can appoint someone who is familiar with your case to represent you.

You will need to complete an Application for leave to be represented form. The person you appoint should have a good knowledge of your case. You will need to ensure they have original copies of your evidence and documents to present at the hearing.

If someone is representing you at the hearing, you should provide a sworn Affidavit statement about your matter. An Affidavit must be signed by you and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, Solicitor or Commissioner for Declarations.

If you cannot attend the hearing in person, and do not have someone who can represent you at the hearing, you can contact the Tribunal and ask if you can attend the hearing via telephone or video link.

If you want to present evidence or present a written Affidavit statement, make sure you fax or mail the Tribunal a copy of the documents, before the hearing.