Types Of Agreements

Your agreement can either be fixed term (for an agreed length of time), or periodic (ongoing). How the Act applies to you also depends on whether you rent residential premises, rent in a moveable dwelling park, or rent rooming accommodation.

Fixed term agreements – Fixed term agreements (often called leases) can be for any agreed length of time, but are often for six or 12 months. You should not sign a fixed term agreement if you don’t intend to stay for the full term. Breaking a fixed term agreement early can be costly.

Periodic agreements – Periodic agreements are ongoing, or ‘weekto- week’ agreements, that do not have a fixed ending date. A fixed term agreement will automatically become a periodic agreement if,the tenancy continues after the fixed term ends, unless you sign a new fixed term agreement or a notice is given to end the tenancy.

Moveable dwelling agreements – In moveable dwelling parks, you can either have a short tenancy agreement ( which is for 42 days or less and can only be extended once for an additional 42 days) or a long tenancy agreement, which can be either a periodic ongoing agreement, or for a fixed term agreement.

Rooming Accommodation – Rooming accommodation agreements can either be periodic or fixed term. The Act has provisions that apply to rooming accommodation. Rooming accommodation refers to premises where residents rent a room and share common facilities.

If the provider lives in the premises there must be 4 or more rooms for rent. If the provider does not live in the premises the Act applies if there are two or more rooms. Residents and providers have the option to sign a General Tenancy Agreement, in which case the parts of the Act that apply to residential tenancies will apply.