You Want To Leave - Moving Out

When you move out it is important to take all your goods with you and leave the place clean, in a similar condition to the start of the tenancy, reasonable fair wear and tear excepted.

You must use an Exit Condition Report to record whether or not the place is clean and in good condition when you leave. You can get this form from the RTA or an official Australia Post Office. It is the tenant’s responsibility to provide and complete the Exit Condition Report.

In rooming accommodation Exit condition reports are not required, but can be useful if you paid a bond. When you have completed the report, give a copy to the lessor or provider to complete.

Remember to keep a copy for your own records. The lessor or agent must complete the Exit Condition Report and return a signed copy to you within three days. At the end of your tenancy, you can use a Refund of Rental Bond to apply to the RTA for a refund of your bond.

How the RTA deals with your bond refund will depend on whether you and the lessor, agent or provider agree on the bond refund. You can lodge your own Refund of Rental Bond form with the RTA as soon as the tenancy ends.

Never sign a blank Refund of Rental Bond form; this is like signing a blank cheque. Always fi ll in the bond refund amounts before you sign the form.