Dispute resolution

The Commissioner for Consumer Affairs’ role is to give advice to landlords and tenants and to resolve disputes via the Tenancies Branch.

A party to a residential tenancy dispute may apply to the Tenancies Branch for conciliation of the dispute. Alternatively, the Tribunal may, either before or during the hearing of proceedings, appoint a mediator to achieve a negotiated settlement.

The Tribunal may also refer the matter to a conference or hearing. If you are a party to a tenancy dispute, you should contact a Tenancy Officer at the Tenancies Branch, Level 1, 91-97 Grenfell Street, Adelaide or phone 131 882.