Can a landlord claim the bond?

Your landlord may make a claim on part or all of the bond for:

  • Damage caused by you or your visitors
  • Cleaning expenses
  • Abandonment of the premises
  • You leaving your landlord to pay bills

You should have paid:

  • Loss of the landlord’s goods
  • Unpaid rent.

The landlord must accept fair wear and tear. If there is disagreement about the division of the bond, your landlord must apply to VCAT to have the matter resolved within 10 business days of you vacating the premises. You may also apply to VCAT on the same grounds at any time.