Complaints about landlords and real estate agents

If a landlord or agent commits an offence under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, they can be prosecuted in the Magistrates’ Court. If they are convicted they can be fined.

Contact the Tenants Union for more information about offences and how to make a complaint to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Keep in mind that if Consumer Affairs decides to prosecute, you will probably have to go to court as a witness and give evidence.

If you wish to complain about a real estate agent, you can also contact the Estate Agent Resolution Service (EARS) on 1300 737 030.