Victoria Tenancy Help

If you are renting a home in Victoria or thinking of doing so soon, the information in this guide will help you avoid common renting pitfalls and to have a harmonious (and lawful) relationship with the property owner or agent. 

The Tenants Union of Victoria has produced this guide for residential tenants, which is anyone who rents from a private landlord (or real estate agent) or the Office of Housing. It explains the tenants rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and gives advice on how to protect these rights.

It does not cover every aspect of the law and you should contact the Tenants Union if you have a question that isn’t covered here.

Tenants Union Advice Service The Tenants Union of Victoria provides free, confidential advice and a legal service for public and private residential tenants in Victoria. Tenants Union services include:

  • telephone/in-person/email advice
  • representing tenants at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
  • referrals to other services

This guide is available from Consumer Affairs Victoria at or by calling 1300 55 81 81.

Because this publication avoids the use of legal language, information about the law may have been expressed in general statements.

This guide should not be relied upon as a substitute for the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 or professional legal advice.

This guide doesn’t take the place of the Act, nor does it pretend to cover everything; but it will give you a good working knowledge of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. It is not legal advise.

FAQ Guide for Victoria

Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn.
And most of all PropertyMyWay for providing these helpful guides.