You are entitled to receive a receipt for each rent payment. Your landlord or agent who receives the rent must:
- Give you a receipt immediately if you pay in person
- Give you a receipt within 5 business days if you do not pay in person but request a receipt
- Keep a record of the payment for 12 months and, on request, provide you with a copy of the record within five business days.
The landlord can be fined if the rules on providing rent receipts are not followed. A rent receipt must include:
- Your landlord’s signature
- Your name
- Property address
- Payment date
- What period the payment was for
- How much was paid
- Statement that it is a rent receipt.