Repairs - Non-urgent repairs

If the repairs do not come under the definition of ‘urgent’, they are considered to be non-urgent repairs.

You shouldn’t deal with them yourself unless your landlord has given you written consent and agreed to pay all costs.

If your property needs any non-urgent repairs, send your landlord a Notice to Landlord, listing all the repairs on the form.

This gives the landlord notice that they have 14 days to carry out the repairs.

The form is available from the Tenants Union or Consumer Affairs Victoria. If you are a public tenant, your landlord is the Director of Housing and your Notice to Landlord should be delivered to your nearest Office of Housing Area Office.

If the landlord does not carry out the repairs within 14 days, you can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria to come and inspect the property and prepare a report. If the landlord still fails to do the repairs you can apply to the Tribunal. Contact the Tenants Union for more information.

  • Write to your landlord or agent telling them what needs to be repaired.
  • You may use Consumer Affairs Victoria’s ‘Notice to Landlord of Rented Premises’ form.

If you give your landlord or agent a list of repairs that need to be done, they have 14 days to carry them out. If they do not carry out the repairs, send Consumer Affairs Victoria a copy of the written notice with a letter asking for a Consumer Affairs Victoria inspector to inspect the property and fill out a report.

If the repairs still have not been done after you receive the inspection report, you then have 60 days to apply to VCAT for a repair order. You must continue to pay rent even if your landlord has not arranged for the repairs. However, if the matter has gone to VCAT, you may apply for the rent to be paid into VCAT’s Rent Special Account until the issue is resolved.

  • tip You may be entitled to claim compensation for any inconvenience, loss or damage to your personal property that results from your landlord’s failure to maintain the premises in good repair.