Your landlord must ensure that the rental property is in a reasonably clean condition at the start of your tenancy.

They must also maintain the property in good repair throughout your tenancy.

The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 divides repairs into urgent and non-urgent categories. In each case there is a different procedure to follow.

  • Document repair requests in writing.
  • Keep copies of all letters, forms and reports for future reference.
  • Use forms from Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Repairs are your landlord’s responsibility, but if you caused the damage, the landlord can ask you to pay for them.

Tenants, landlords and agents must follow set procedures when dealing with urgent or non-urgent repairs. You must continue to pay rent even while waiting for repairs. However, if the matter has gone to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), you can apply for the rent to be paid into VCAT’s Rent Special Account until the issue is resolved.