Tenancy Agreements

A tenancy agreement, also called a lease, can be in writing or verbal. If a tenancy agreement is in writing it should be in the proper legal form. Tenancy agreement forms are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria. 

There are two types of tenancy agreements:

  • A fixed-term agreement is for an initialset period.
  • A periodic agreement has no end date.

A tenancy agreement is a legal contract between you and your landlord. It outlines:

  • the rent you need to pay and howto pay it
  • the length and type of tenancy
  • the amount of bond required
  • other conditions and rules.

Most people who sign a tenancy agreement pay rent to a landlord or estate agent working for the home owner.

If you or your landlord does not give notice to end a fixed-term agreement, you will automatically roll over to a periodic tenancy agreement.

For more information about ending a tenancy, see Ending a Tenancy Agreement.