A tenancy agreement, also called a lease, can be in writing or verbal. If a tenancy agreement is in writing it should be in the proper legal form. Tenancy agreement forms are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria.
There are two types of tenancy agreements:
- A fixed-term agreement is for an initialset period.
- A periodic agreement has no end date.
A tenancy agreement is a legal contract between you and your landlord. It outlines:
- the rent you need to pay and howto pay it
- the length and type of tenancy
- the amount of bond required
- other conditions and rules.
Most people who sign a tenancy agreement pay rent to a landlord or estate agent working for the home owner.
If you or your landlord does not give notice to end a fixed-term agreement, you will automatically roll over to a periodic tenancy agreement.
For more information about ending a tenancy, see Ending a Tenancy Agreement.