Water Expenses

If the property has its own meter, you must:

  • Pay for water consumption and
  • (in the Melbourne metropolitan area) sewage disposal, unless your landlord has agreed to pay these charges.

The landlord must pay all other charges related to water supply, although different rules may apply when a tank is the main source.

If a water appliance, fitting or fixture needs replacing, your landlord must replace it with one that meets minimum efficiency standards. For more information about water efficient products and labelling schemes, visit waterrating.gov.au or call toll free on 1800 218 478.

Environment Victoria publishes The Victorian Green Renters’ Guide:
Sustainable Living Tips for Renters.
You can download a copy at environmentvictoria.org.au/ rentersguide or call (03) 9341 8100.