Water Meter Readings

In the Melbourne metropolitan area, if the property has a separate meter, your landlord:

  • Can arrange for you to be billed for water usage and sewage disposal
  • Must give your contact details to the water provider, who will read the meter and commence billing.

If your property is outside the Melbourne metropolitan area, you need to notify the water provider yourself at least two business days before moving in. If you do not, you will have to pay for the total amount of water supplied to the premises since the last meter reading. It is a good idea to confirm the details in a letter to the water provider and keep a copy.